The Montana Posse

The Montana Posse
L-R: Brian aka Chester, Chuck aka Doc Holiday, Hilary aka Sheriff, Bob aka Tonto. These three friends of mine are going with me on my journey to meet my birth mother in July

Friday, April 6, 2012

In the beginning

We're always evolving, changing, growing. What if you had a part of your foundation of your life that was unknown. That you felt that part may play a part in your "formatting"? That you can't understand certain things that you are drawn to, or why you are the way you are about other things.

I grew up a very privileged life. My family had always told me I was adopted so that I would be comfortable with that. It was always told to me that I was "chosen" and "wanted". I lived in a large house in Darien, CT, had horses growing up, and was allowed to let the equestrian passion carry into my every day life from the time I was 8 years ago up until now. But there's just some things I didn't (and still don't) get. How does a girl who grew up in a very white collar environment, have every monetary advantage ever asked for given to her, go to the best private schools, end up living in a renovated barn in a bedroom community of MA. Growing up I lived in 4000+ square feet of spoiled exaggerated and quietly exploited wealth. Why do I chose to life the way i live now?. How is it horses are such a large part of my life when none of my family growing up shared that passion?

And where the hell did motorcycles come from? SERIOUSLY! Where I grew up it was beamers, porches, ferraris, and mercedes. NOT MOTORCYCLES. Unless you were Paul Newman (who lived nearby).When I was 8, my neighbor, Mr. Lane, had a Goldwing and took me out for a ride down Hollow Tree Ridge Road and Cherry Lane in Darien. I had my pony club riding helmet on and I fell in love instantly with the wind in my hair. I realize now that I am a high adrenaline junkie. Love galloping and jumping horses, climbing trees, riding bikes and mixed martial arts.
I don't think twice to breaking a nail while changing the oil on my bike, and I wear my bruises from MMA with pride. I show them off to my coworkers at the Norfolk Police Dept.

For my work I am an animal control officer and a special police officer. I chase rabid animals and kill them. I go to calls where people are ready to kill someone about something. I get bit by dogs, I pick up lost pets and keep them safe until their owners can come get them, and in some cases I take people's animals away because of something they did or didn't do to or for them. I protect people from animal problems and I protect animals from people problems. I'm pretty good at it apparently since I was named Animal Control Officer of the year for the State of MA. I've seen animals drown, burn, freeze to death, hit by car, hit by train, and shot. If I can offer ANY love before or during their time of pain then I've done what I can do. Deer hit by car rarely die instantly. Usually it's their legs and they try like hell to leave the area because that's their instinct. Some know that I'm going to put them out of their misery. Some are frantic. If I can pet the sweet spot on their head,right between their eyes (the most vulnerable spot on a deer), it will put them at ease. They instantly relax. It makes the next step easier on everyone. Now don't anyone try this... They can also bite you , and strike you with their front legs (even if they're broken). How did I become an animal control officer? Why? Sure the job was posted, but why did I even think to try out for it?

Something drew me to motorcycles, animals, and law enforcement. It certainly wasn't my lifestyle growing up.

Short answer: My birth mother loves sheep, and wrote an agricultural newspaper about sheep ranching, and is a youth corrections officer. My birth father was very known to law enforcement (chuckle) and LOVED motorcycles.. loved to steal them and loved to ride them (more chuckling).


I had my only son in 1998. I was going through a lot of changes in my life and having a child made me wonder if I had any health risks with me that were genetic and perhaps I should try to go find my genetic past. I placed a call to the adoption agency and they responded that with $1000 they would send me all the non identifying information about my birth family.

I received a packet in the mail. My name at birth had been "Barbara". I learned some info about my genetic material but what stood out the most was that I learned my mother was only 15 years old when she was pregnant. WOW. She has to be the strongest young lady ever to be 1, pregnant, 2, living in a time where that is not socially acceptable, 3. she was shipped off during her pregnancy to not stain the family's name, 4. give up a baby that she carried for that long and just walk away.... Just walk away... Never know what happened. And she could have easily aborted me.

I wanted to thank her. That's what this whole thing is about. And I have always wanted to do this before I turn 40.

Guess what... We found each other 12 years ago on line. We've spoken on the phone, we email back and forth. We've mailed each other pictures. I'm going to meet her on my 40th birthday this year.

This blog is going to be an emotional pilgrimage into the adopted child's mind. I will talk about what it's like to be adopted and the process of how we found each other. This blog is also intended to show my physical pilgrimage. I am embarking on a two week motorcycle journey with three friends of mine to go meet her (yes, she knows we're coming!). We'll be riding the highways, several hundred miles a day, taking steam ships across lake Michigan, riding through the badlands, going through Canada, visiting different national treasures along the way and seeing things that I've never seen before. I was always afraid to travel as a child. I always wanted to stay home. Silly as it was, it was because I didn't want someone to leave me behind again. I knew the people that loved me would eventually come home. I missed a lot of trips with my family to Italy, France, etc because I was just afraid. My life now is wonderful, stable, and enriched. My husband is supportive and strong. He encourages me to grow. To spread those wings, be all I can be (insert rolling eyes at sarcasm here).

We leave July 14th from Massachusetts to go to Montana.

There's so much to prepare for... 99 days away.

You'll hear about the folks I'm travelling with. They'll post along the way as well. I'm sure with embarrassing pictures of me, perhaps me sleepwalking through hotels which I am known to do. You'll probably also hear from my family members as well. I have a sibling who is adopted as well and sometimes he can explain things way better than I ever can.





7 comments:

  1. As one of your traveling companions, let it be known that I was adopted also and did a my search. I found a whole new family, much closer than Montana. Your trip is very dear to me for the same reasons that it is for you.
    So many pictures and videos to post and share with those that will follow this adventure!!!
    Chuck Corman / Doc Holiday
    Montana Posse

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why you are so special for this trip. I know you'll understand the inner sanctum of the cobwebby cranium that I have. Knowing you had a great adoptive reunion inspires me.

    -Sheriff (Hilary)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy s%&t batman, i was just browsing this and now i find myself, sitting in my closet(because thats where the chair hapoens to be) crying... You are so lucky and now i know another reason why we were drawn together and why after so many years we still get aling. So,much of this i dudnt know, but share with you... I probably will never meet my birth mom since my adoption was private and done by the cousin of my adoptive father... I intend to keep following your journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you and SO proud of you! I'll be watching your journey, of course... and you'd damn well better be taking our SPOT with you.
    Journey of a lifetime and I am so glad you are doing it. Can not wait to hear the journey... "in your wildest dreams..." xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, it's all good. And yes, my adoption was a closed and sealed adoption. There are ways.. I was lucky on mine, but if you need some help let me know. if anything I can be a holding hand for you.

    Lynne, Chuck has a SPOT on his bike already :) no need to renew your subscription!!!! In my wildest dreams.. You make me cry tears of joy. Thank you.. Rock on butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hillary , it is not often we are able to go on a life journey to answer our un answered questions. You are so blessed to take this journey , leave your heart open to all you see and hear and you will find what it is that leaves a void in your spirited soul. Animal sprites will help guide you,watch for them .

    On the litter side have fun and post lots of pictures

    ReplyDelete
  7. My adoption was also closed, but was given a lead to ask DSS for information. I was given crossed out information that gave enough clues and found a great search organization to follow through. I paid them to do all the leg work. The big joke after finding my other family was... "if I paid more could I have gotten a better family?".
    The best story my sister tells is that first phone call from the search people. Many things went through all our minds. From their side... "did he just get out of jail and needs a kidney?". From my side.... "are they going to want to move in with us?"
    My search turned out one of the most positive things in my life!! I found 3 half siblings, but the birth mother had passed away 30 years before. I was the best kept secret......

    ReplyDelete